How to get the career you want – Intro
5 September 2016, by Zoe Cunningham
I recently gave a lunch and learn on how to get the career that you want.
I find this a fascinating subject, as all of us have so much more potential than we realise and could achieve all of our dreams with sustained application.
Of course I can only speak from my own experience. My thoughts come from my own journey to become Managing Director (you can hear more about that here – https://youtu.be/DqRPymBHAPM), my career chats I have with other members of Softwire and my experience outside of my job trying to make a second career in acting.
The basic way to get anything you want is really simple.
- Work out what you want to do
- Make a plan
- Do it
The challenge is that each of those steps is harder than you think. I’ll write about each in a separate blog post.
In the meantime, I made a list of my top career tips.
- Work hard; find what helps you to work hard
- Discover self-efficacy – what have you done that made a difference?
- What do you want to do? I recommend the Artist’s Way
- Leap into a big goal (5+ years)
- Find a way to be buoyed up by your successes (use http://achievements.io)
- Don’t stop; don’t go too fast (I use this tip for jogging!) i.e. KEEP GOING
Categories: Soft skills