Softwire is looking for an experienced UI designer to join our fast-growing Labs / UX team.
We want a UI expert, with a strong aesthetic sense, who uses visual craft and flair, to create stand out experiences for our clients.
You balance the big picture with the fine detail, and know when less is more, and when to turn up the dazzle.
You’re a natural communicator (visual, written and verbal): comfortable engaging with clients, team-members, end-users; and adept at getting your idea across in a number of ways (sketches, story-boards, mood-boards, style tiles, prototypes, hi-fi design etc).
Your primary concern is the interface, but you’re happy to get involved from workshops, research through to prototyping and development. You’re enthusiastic at the idea of mix skill teams, and have your own ideas about how to do it well.
You’ll question specs and proposals, when it’s the right thing to do. At the same time, you’re adaptable and realistic; you can estimate scope and time and prioritise, multi-task and communicate in order to set the right expectations and meet deadlines.
You’re at home with ambiguity and can adapt to context, helping to plan and implement the right combination of activities and deliverables, to best meet project goals. We sometimes need to ramp-up quickly to help our clients and need to be able to make a difference early in the project.
You appreciate working autonomously within an encouraging environment – like us, you value balance between life and work.
In more detail, we’re after someone with:
Experience & Qualifications
- Experience working as a UI / visual designer within agency, design studio or product environment, ideally with experience of both public-sector and commercial clients
- A portfolio, demonstrating successful UI design addressing problems, across a variety of products/artefacts for different devices.
- Case studies showing a process that builds upon user research, IA and interaction flows (show us how visual design fits/feeds into wider design practise).
- Degree or higher in a relevant subject, or equivalent experience
- Experience working within Agile/SCRUM processes
- Experience of working in design sprints
- Expertise with fundamental design principles
- In-depth knowledge of UCD design techniques, understanding when and where to apply them
- Expertise with a range of tools available to design, share, test and iterate.
- Knowledge of frequent/impactful issues (find-ability, accessibility / usability) and practises to address them
- Improving the quality of our creative process, and helping to grow the skills of all involved.
Logistics & Planning Capabilities
- Provide realistic time/scope/risk estimates and being dedicated in helping to realise those.
- Lead clients and the team members in workshops, design walkthroughs and presentations
- Work with the team and partners to identify and prioritise goals, and define artefacts and outcomes
- A strong advocate of design craft within business, understanding where this gives the best value
- Help clients align behind solutions that deliver their business objectives
- Understand product/business lifecycle and how design can deliver value
Team / process
- Familiar with agile (and agile-like) process
- Understanding of development process, and how to make visual design fit effectively
- Knowledge of the tools and techniques available to share design with your team and to support them in delivering the best product
- Ability to work in cross-functional teams, and to develop and mentor their skills in getting the most from design
- Ability to move with team members, iterating designs as a project progresses
Presentation / Communication Skills
- Communicate the value of design in new business activities: proposal writing; project scoping and presentations
- Present articulately, and explain design concepts to clients (some of whom may be inexperienced in design, or skeptical of the value)
- Have the insight to engage and develop strong working relationships with all sorts of people
- Be confident enough to both stick to your principles and flexible enough to take onboard those of other team members
- Understand the communications needs around delivering design quality, that help make a compelling case
We’re a fast-growing team, within a more established agency, focusing on innovation, proof-of-concept and early stage engagements. We work very closely with our clients in intense, user-focused, prototype driven sprints, that grow into long-term relationships. We’re looking for someone to grow with us and take the opportunity to craft their future role in the team.
Softwire is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate based on age, disability, gender including gender reassignment, marriage and civil partnership, pregnancy and maternity, race, religion or belief, sex, sexual orientation, or any other protected status. All matters related to employment are decided on the basis of qualifications, merit and business need.
We’re a fast-growing team, within a more established agency, focusing on innovation, proof-of-concept and early stage engagements. We work very closely with our clients in intense, user-focused, prototype driven sprints, that grow into long-term relationships. We’re looking for someone to grow with us with a strong opportunity to shape your future role in the team.
We pride ourselves on our responsiveness and the quality of our customer service, and that extends to the way we treat you as an applicant.
- We respond to 95% of applications within one working day (99%+ within two days) and will resolve any queries you have just as quickly.
- At every stage in the process it typically takes less than two working days for you to receive results.
- Interviews can be arranged as soon as you wish, subject to availability and two business days’ notice.
We also pride ourselves on hiring people with the greatest potential, rather than just those with prior experience, and we do all we can to bring out the best from you in the interviews by making them as relaxed as possible. We value your time, and we don’t ask you to answer unnecessary questions on application forms or spend hours on preparation. Our recruitment process consists of three straightforward stages:
- Submission of your initial application.
- Completion of online tests and/or a short telephone interview.
- A second interview in our offices lasting a few hours. This consists of a number of technical and logical reasoning tests and requires no preparation.
Softwire is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of age, disability, gender including gender reassignment, marriage and civil partnership, pregnancy and maternity, race, religion or belief, sex, sexual orientation, or any other protected status. All matters related to employment are decided on the basis of qualifications, merit and business need.