A rare opportunity to join our fast-growing technology company selling high-value software development services. An ideal role for an experienced and dynamic Ruby developer who wants to be involved with an exciting and challenging project.
Softwire provides software development services to medium and large-sized UK businesses. Our HQ is based in London with growing offices in Manchester and Cambridge. We have a headcount of over 200 that comprises the top 1% of UK graduate developer talent. We’ve featured in the Best Companies to Work For list for 10 years running. This is testament to our exceptionally high levels of staff job satisfaction.
Skills and experience
- At least two years’ commercial experience developing web applications
- Including at least one year of Ruby on Rails
- Experience working with web APIs (REST, JSON)
- Experience working as part of a multidisciplinary team (including working closely with other job roles such as designers and testers, as well as tools to support collaboration such as git and user story management software)
- Experience with SQL RDBMSs (e.g. PostgreSQL)
- Exposure to the GOV.UK design system
- Familiarity with Nunjucks
- Familiarity with cloud hosting environments and related tooling (e.g. Azure, CloudFoundry, infrastructure as code)
- Familiarity with the GDS Service Standard
- Comfortable with GitHub
- Comfortable with JIRA
You will be joining a focused agile team, working as part of a larger programme of work enabling a UK Government department’s strategic aims. Other team members may include user researchers, user experience designers, technical architects, delivery leads, product owners and subject matter experts – as well as other developers. Development will primarily be focused on Ruby on Rails applications (and their deployments), with GOV.UK design system front ends. Tasks may include adding new features to production-ready services, rapidly prototyping small systems for use in user testing, or defining cloud infrastructure. Following government guidance, you will work remotely for now but maybe required to co-locate with your team in offices in one of Manchester or London.