We’re a fast-growing team, within a more established agency, focusing on innovation, proof-of-concept and early stage engagements. We work very closely with our clients in intense, user-focused, prototype driven sprints, that grow into long-term relationships. We’re looking for someone to grow with us and take the opportunity to craft their future role in the team.
Softwire is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate based on age, disability, gender including gender reassignment, marriage and civil partnership, pregnancy and maternity, race, religion or belief, sex, sexual orientation, or any other protected status. All matters related to employment are decided on the basis of qualifications, merit and business need.
We are looking for a UI specialist, with a strong aesthetic sense, who uses visual craft and flair, to create stand out experiences for our clients. You balance the big picture with the fine detail, and know when less is more, and when to turn up the dazzle.
You’re a natural communicator (visual, written and verbal): comfortable engaging with clients, team-members, end-users; and adept at getting your idea across in a number of ways (sketches, story-boards, mood-boards, style tiles, prototypes, hi-fi design etc).
Your primary concern is the interface, but you’re happy to get involved from workshops, research through to prototyping and engaging with our developers. You’re enthusiastic to work with mixed skill teams, and have your own ideas about how to collaborate effectively.
You’ll question specs and proposals when it’s the right thing to do. At the same time, you can be adaptable and realistic – estimating tasks, prioritising your time, multi-tasking and communicating in order to set the right expectations and meet deadlines.
You’re at home with ambiguity and can adapt to context, helping to plan and implement the right combination of activities and deliverables, to best meet project goals. We sometimes need to ramp-up quickly to help our clients and need to be able to make a difference early in the project.
You appreciate working autonomously within an encouraging environment – like us, you value balance between life and work.
In more detail, we’re looking for someone with:
Experience & Qualifications
- Experience working as a UI / visual designer within an agency, design studio or digital product environment on commercial projects. Public-sector experience would be a bonus.
- A portfolio, demonstrating successful UI design addressing problems, across a variety of products/artefacts for different devices.
- Case studies showing a process that builds upon user research, IA and interaction flows (show us how visual design fits/feeds into wider design practise).
- Degree or higher in a relevant subject, or equivalent experience
- Experience working within Agile/SCRUM processes
- Experience of working in design sprints
- Expertise with fundamental design principles
- In-depth knowledge of UCD design techniques, understanding when and where to apply them
- Expertise with a range of tools available to design, share, test and iterate.
- Knowledge of frequent/impactful issues (find-ability, accessibility/usability) and practises to address them
- Improving the quality of our creative process, and helping to grow the skills of all involved.
Logistics & Planning Capabilities
- Provide realistic time/scope/risk estimates and is dedicated to helping to realise those
- Lead clients and the team members in design walkthroughs and presentations
- Work with the team and partners to identify and prioritise goals, and define artefacts and outcomes
- A strong advocate of design craft within a business, understanding where this gives the best value
- Help clients align behind solutions that deliver their business objectives
- Understand digital product/business lifecycle and how design can deliver value
Team / process
- Familiar with agile (and agile-like) process
- Understanding of working with development teams to ensure high-quality visual builds
- Knowledge of the tools and techniques available to share design with your team and to support them in delivering the best product
- Ability to work in cross-functional teams, and to develop and mentor their skills in getting the most from design
- Ability to move with team members, iterating designs as a project progresses
Presentation / Communication Skills
- Supporting in new business activities: project scoping and pitch presentations
- Present articulately, and explain design concepts to clients (some of whom may be inexperienced in design, or sceptical of the value)
- Have the insight to engage and develop strong working relationships with all sorts of people
- Be confident enough to rationalise your work and flexible enough to take on board feedback from other team members
- Understand the communications needs around delivering design quality, that help make a compelling case