In briefWe are looking for an experienced User Researcher to join our fast-growing team.
The roleYou are a highly motivated and enthusiastic individual who is passionate about improving the experiences of users by understanding their needs.
Using a range of research techniques and best practices you’ll help to craft the best outcome for users and our clients. Your experience will bring together quantitative and qualitative research data to draw business focused conclusions and you’ll engage the team and clients to communicate the results and devise testing plans.
With a flexible approach you’ll need to adapt to changing objectives and drive the correct combination of activities to deliver project goals and deadlines. You’ll be comfortable leading the user research on any project, helping and feeding insight to the wider team. You will deliver research and data-informed artefacts including personas, journey maps and user needs to drive effective products and services. You’ll be comfortable working autonomously within a supportive environment.
We value work-life balance and provide the right conditions to enable individuals reach their potential.
Softwire is a leading digital software consultancy. We offer services in software engineering, design, innovation, cloud, mobile and data.
Trusted by well-known organisations, including the BBC, David Lloyd Clubs, LNER and The Cabinet Office, Softwire has grown into a business that consistently delivers large, high-profile digital projects for the UK’s leading brands.
But who are we actually?
We’re innovators. We’re passionate problem-solvers in both software engineering and digital design. We are dedicated. And we love what we do.
It all started when our founders Pete, Dan, and Phil realised that there was a better way to do things. A way that delivers results without squeezing the fun out of what we do. A way that is never corporate, but always professional.
When you work with Softwire, you’re not only becoming part of a team with in-depth technical skills and delivery expertise – you’re joining a team filled with passion, guile, and an absolute dedication to producing the best work possible.
Voted in the Sunday Times as one of the Top 100 Companies to Work For (now known as Best Companies), you’ll be working in a thriving environment full of innovation, devotion, and outright electricity.
What we stand for
Here at Softwire, we hold four key values at the core of everything we do:
We really care about what we do
When we say we care, we honestly mean it. Our work is our passion, and everything that comes through our doors is treated with the utmost respect and with the same level of care that we’d treat our own work. Because honestly – we really do care.
We trust and are trustworthy
We’re not micromanagers. We place a level of trust in each member of our team to work their hardest and produce the best they can achieve. This is an innovative but fun place to work – and we trust that you’ll meet our standards.
We are kind
Clients come to us with complex, exciting, but often challenging projects. And we are the friendly face that will help them reach their goals – and be with them for the long run. Our team is open, accepting, and always ready to accept new ideas. Because after all, in a world where being kind is free – why be anything but?
We are fun
When you’re working at the forefront of technology, every day is different. And in this fast-paced environment, we realise that work isn’t always going to be fun. Some days can be stressful, but despite this, we know the importance of enjoying ourselves. Because at the end of the day, we spend a lot of time at work – so we might as well have fun while we’re there.
Experience and qualificationsApplying user research, in both the public and private sectors:
- A track record you can share with us, demonstrating project success
- Degree or higher in a relevant subject (HCI, psychology etc), or equivalent experience
- Experience working within Agile/SCRUM processes
- Experience of working in or alongside design sprints
Logistics & Planning Capabilities:
- Able to plan and lead your own activities
- Develop and execute research plans to business priorities and project content
- Lead clients and teams in workshops, focus groups and other research activities
- Work with key stakeholders to identify and prioritise project goals
- Manage the logistics of user recruitment, scheduling and interactions
- Experience of using data to inform business and design decisions
- Be a strong advocate of the user within a business setting
- Help clients through the process of aligning behind priorities
- Understand the product/business lifecycle and where/how research can deliver value
- In-depth knowledge of UCD and research techniques
- Able to recognise project constraints and determine appropriate methods
- Expertise with a range of tools to deliver in-person and remote research sessions
- An ability to make sense of and translate research findings into high-impact outputs
- Dedication to developing in-house research capabilities
- Familiar with the agile process
- Understanding of wider development process, and where user research fits
- Ability to work collaboratively and mentor colleagues from other disciplines
- Ability to move with the team, iterating research during the project lifetime
Presentation / Communication Skills:
- Communicate the value of user engagement in new business activities: proposal writing; project scoping and presentations
- Present articulately, and explain user needs to clients
- Empathy to engage and develop strong working relationships with a range of individuals
- Confidence to both stick to your principles and flexible to take onboard those of others
- Understand communications needs around insights, to make a compelling case
PackageSoftwire operates transparent pay scales and a profit share scheme based on role and overall company performance
- Base salary is based on experience in role and ranges from £40,000 – £52,600
- Profit share for this role in the last 4 years has been between £3,000 to £7,250 (on a full-time, annual basis).
- Pension: Additional 5% of salary
- 25 days annual leave (with the option to buy and sell)
- Time off for company-wide morale activities, time off for charitable / CSR activities
- Free annual eye test, income protection, cycle to work, electric vehicle lease schemes, and payroll charity donations.
For further details on benefits click here
Softwire is an equal-opportunities employer and does not discriminate on the basis of age, disability, gender including gender reassignment, marriage and civil part-nership, pregnancy and maternity, race, religion or belief, sex, sexual orientation, or any other protected status. All matters related to employment are decided on the basis of qualifications, merit, and business need.