Rapid prototyping and validation
About this service
You’ve got an idea for a new product, service or feature.
Before you spend time and money – or seek investment – to build a production-grade system, you need to answer four key questions:
- Does it solve a genuine business challenge?
- Will people use it?
- Is it technically feasible?
- Can it be delivered within regulatory constraints?
Our prototyping and validation service gives you the answers.
You get a working mock-up, advice on how to proceed, critical evidence to support your business case and indicative costs.
How we rapidly prototype and validate
Prototyping and validation can take as little as three weeks, depending on the complexity of your idea.
We create a prototype with the right level of technical fidelity to answer the four key questions.
Note that while we check your aspiration is technically feasible, the prototype may not be built using the technologies required for a production-grade system.
Here’s what a typical three-week journey looks like.
- Develop ‘customer FAQs’ that explain the problem from your users’ perspective
- Agree scope of prototype and testing
- Create high-level paper prototypes
- Begin developing look-and-feel
- Initial user tests
- Plan for following week
- Create first digital prototype with key pages/screens
- Further user testing
- Iterate digital prototype, based on user tests
- Review results
- Plan for following week
- Stakeholder demo
- Finalise digital prototype
- Presentation of findings and recommended next steps to your key stakeholders
What you get
- Working prototype, in line with the agreed scope
- Outline of findings, including quotes and video from user testing
- If the idea merits pursuing: Future workstream recommendations to develop a production-ready system and approximate costings
- If the process highlights issues with the idea: Advice on whether to continue with the concept and how to adapt it
- Optional: Presentation and Q&A with your project sponsors or investors, to support your business case
The expertise you need – all in one place
Answering the four key questions above demands a wide range of skills. You need innovators who can turn concepts into tangible products. You also need user researchers, visual and UX designers, technical architects, developers and testers.
Softwire provides all these skills in one place, and our established prototyping process brings in the right expertise at the right time – without you needing to manage it. The result? Prototyping with Softwire gives you so much more than pretty pictures in a slide deck. It gives you the confidence that all key aspects have been addressed. This means you can make a truly informed decision on how to proceed.