We’re a leading software consultancy with strong design and engineering credentials. We tackle challenges including developing a voicemail platform for a large international provider, building the UK’s voter registration system, and working with Moorfields Eye Hospital to better diagnose and treat eye disease through building a new cloud research platform. We are a team of over 200 who work to help our clients achieve their ambitions. We pride ourselves on maintaining high standards of technical quality throughout our work.
You are excited by delivering world-class digital services that have a real impact. You have a wide range and depth of technical knowledge and can use this to devise effective technical solutions to meet underlying user needs. You can take responsibility for the technical success of complex development projects.
You are a talented leader, who can direct and motivate teams, and you have a noticeable impact on the work produced by everyone on the team. You are a proactive and effective mentor of other team members, enabling them to learn quickly.
You have a wide range of knowledge about system architecture and design. You understand best practice principles and can draw on your experience to apply your knowledge quickly and effectively in novel situations. You understand the trade-offs involved in designing new systems, and can solve technical challenges while remaining sensitive to the business requirements of our clients.
You have great communication skills and are comfortable talking to senior technical & non-technical stakeholders, and end-users. You enjoy working closely with our clients and helping them increase their technical maturity. You can project the knowledgeable, professional and client-focused image we aspire to.
Technical Leads are responsible for the technical success of our projects, and for mentoring developers on the team. Typical project sizes range from 50 to 1,000 days and our projects span multiple sectors and technologies. You might:
- Lead a team of 10 developers to migrate a legacy monolithic API to a cloud-based microservices architecture which can handle significant spikes in traffic, for a leading leisure brand
- Collaborate with a product owner and designer to prototype a new product for a start-up
- Guide the technical design and implementation of a system that helps match thousands of bone-marrow donors with suitable recipients for a national charity
You will take responsibility for ensuring we deliver a technical solution that achieves our client’s aims. You will mentor & motivate the developers on the team, collaborate with the client’s technical stakeholders, and work closely with delivery leads to ensure our projects are delivered on time and in budget.
You may also have involvement in meeting clients as part of the sales process and contributing to proposals by designing and estimating high-level technical solutions.
Your skills & experience
- You have significant breadth & depth of technical knowledge & expertise, and can solve technical challenges across front-end, back-end and infrastructure
- You have strong experience and understanding in at least some of the following technologies:
- C# and the .NET ecosystem
- Java and the JVM ecosystem
- Popular databases and SQL versions
- You are a fast learner and can leverage your existing expertise to quickly become effective in unfamiliar tech stacks and novel situations
- You have a good understanding of best practice principles for technical architecture, and are comfortable applying these in unfamiliar situations to design new systems
- You are a talented leader, who can motivate and coach the developers on your team
- You are a strong communicator, who can explain technical concepts effectively to non-technical people
- You are adept at achieving outcomes by influencing client stakeholders who don’t report to you
- You have a good understanding of lean/agile delivery methodologies
- You are passionate about delivering great technical quality, and can work towards improving the quality of legacy systems
- You want to help our clients increase their technical maturity, while remaining sensitive to their business needs
- You enjoy mentoring developers, and helping them reach their personal development goals
- You enjoy collaborating with designers and product owners to innovate and devise great technical solutions to meet user needs
- You are comfortable with ambiguity and fast-paced, changing environments
You may also
- Have experience delivering great outcomes for clients in an agency or professional services firm
- Have experience taking ownership of large & complex existing systems, planning strategies for changes and maintenance
- Speak at conferences and meetups to share your expertise
Who we are
Softwire was founded on a simple idea: to be the best possible environment for solving our clients’ digital problems. You will tackle exciting technical challenges, working with some of the industry’s strongest people in a relaxed and informal atmosphere, refreshingly free of bureaucracy. We care about outcomes, so our working conditions are flexible.
Our goals are Happy People, Happy Clients and Commercial Success – all equally important. We trust our staff to do great work and support them to achieve their goals. We also recognise that everybody is human, and make sure that we support that aspect of people’s lives as well.
For over a decade, we have featured in the Best Companies to Work For list, always as one of the top few software companies. We have a strong focus on diversity and hire based on ability as well as experience.
We pride ourselves on our responsiveness and the quality of our customer service, and that extends to the way we treat you as an applicant.
- We respond to 95% of applications within one working day (99%+ within two days) and will resolve any queries you have just as quickly.
- At every stage in the process it typically takes less than two working days for you to receive results.
- Interviews can be arranged as soon as you wish, subject to availability and two business days’ notice.
We also pride ourselves on hiring people with the greatest potential, rather than just those with prior experience, and we do all we can to bring out the best from you in the interviews by making them as relaxed as possible. Softwire is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of age, disability, gender including gender reassignment, marriage and civil partnership, pregnancy and maternity, race, religion or belief, sex, sexual orientation, or any other protected status. All matters related to employment are decided on the basis of qualifications, merit and business need.
Softwire operates transparent pay scales and a profit share scheme based on role and overall company performance
- Base salary is based on experience in role and ranges from £60,000 – £78,100
- You can expect to receive an average of between £15,000 and £21,000 in profit share depending on your experience and company performance.
- Pension: Additional 5% of salary
Additional benefits: 25 days annual leave (with the option to buy and sell), time off for company-wide morale activities, time off for charitable / CSR activities, free annual eye test, and opt-in health insurance, cycle to work and electric vehicle lease schemes, and payroll charity donations.