Salary: £63,200 - £82,800 + Profit ShareApply now
In briefWe’re a leading software consultancy with strong design and engineering credentials. We tackle challenges including developing a voicemail platform for a large international provider, building the UK’s voter registration system, and working with Moorfields Eye Hospital to better diagnose and treat eye disease through building a new cloud research platform. We are a team of over 200 who work to help our clients achieve their ambitions. We pride ourselves on maintaining high standards of technical quality throughout our work.
You are excited by delivering world-class digital services that have a real impact. You have a wide range and depth of technical knowledge and can use this to devise effective technical solutions to meet underlying user needs. You can take responsibility for the technical success of complex development projects.
You are a talented leader, who can direct and motivate teams, and you have a noticeable impact on the work produced by everyone on the team. You are a proactive and effective mentor of other team members, enabling them to learn quickly.
You have a wide range of knowledge about system architecture and design. You understand best practice principles and can draw on your experience to apply your knowledge quickly and effectively in novel situations. You understand the trade-offs involved in designing new systems, and can solve technical challenges while remaining sensitive to the business requirements of our clients.
You have great communication skills and are comfortable talking to senior technical & non-technical stakeholders, and end-users. You enjoy working closely with our clients and helping them increase their technical maturity. You can project the knowledgeable, professional and client-focused image we aspire to.
The roleTechnical Leads are responsible for the technical success of our projects, and for mentoring developers on the team. Typical project sizes range from 50 to 1,000 days and our projects span multiple sectors and technologies. You might:
Lead a team of 10 developers to migrate a legacy monolithic API to a cloud-based microservices architecture which can handle significant spikes in traffic, for a leading leisure brand
Collaborate with a product owner and designer to prototype a new product for a start-up
Guide the technical design and implementation of a system that helps match thousands of bone-marrow donors with suitable recipients for a national charity
You will take responsibility for ensuring we deliver a technical solution that achieves our client’s aims. You will mentor & motivate the developers on the team, collaborate with the client’s technical stakeholders, and work closely with delivery leads to ensure our projects are delivered on time and in budget.
You may also have involvement in meeting clients as part of the sales process and contributing to proposals by designing and estimating high-level technical solutions.
Softwire is a leading digital software consultancy. We offer services in software engineering, design, innovation, cloud, mobile and data.
Trusted by well-known organisations, including the BBC, David Lloyd Clubs, LNER and The Cabinet Office, Softwire has grown into a business that consistently delivers large, high-profile digital projects for the UK’s leading brands.
But who are we actually?
We’re innovators. We’re passionate problem-solvers in both software engineering and digital design. We are dedicated. And we love what we do.
It all started when our founders Pete, Dan, and Phil realised that there was a better way to do things. A way that delivers results without squeezing the fun out of what we do. A way that is never corporate, but always professional.
When you work with Softwire, you’re not only becoming part of a team with in-depth technical skills and delivery expertise – you’re joining a team filled with passion, guile, and an absolute dedication to producing the best work possible.
Voted in the Sunday Times as one of the Top 100 Companies to Work For (now known as Best Companies), you’ll be working in a thriving environment full of innovation, devotion, and outright electricity.
What we stand for
Here at Softwire, we hold four key values at the core of everything we do:
We really care about what we do
When we say we care, we honestly mean it. Our work is our passion, and everything that comes through our doors is treated with the utmost respect and with the same level of care that we’d treat our own work. Because honestly – we really do care.
We trust and are trustworthy
We’re not micromanagers. We place a level of trust in each member of our team to work their hardest and produce the best they can achieve. This is an innovative but fun place to work – and we trust that you’ll meet our standards.
We are kind
Clients come to us with complex, exciting, but often challenging projects. And we are the friendly face that will help them reach their goals – and be with them for the long run. Our team is open, accepting, and always ready to accept new ideas. Because after all, in a world where being kind is free – why be anything but?
We are fun
When you’re working at the forefront of technology, every day is different. And in this fast-paced environment, we realise that work isn’t always going to be fun. Some days can be stressful, but despite this, we know the importance of enjoying ourselves. Because at the end of the day, we spend a lot of time at work – so we might as well have fun while we’re there.
- You are passionate about delivering great technical quality, and can work towards improving the quality of legacy systems
- You want to help our clients increase their technical maturity, while remaining sensitive to their business needs
- You enjoy mentoring developers, and helping them reach their personal development goals
- You enjoy collaborating with designers and product owners to innovate and devise great technical solutions to meet user needs
- You are comfortable with ambiguity and fast-paced, changing environments
Experience and qualifications
- You have significant breadth & depth of technical knowledge & expertise, and can solve technical challenges across front-end, back-end and infrastructure
- You have strong experience and understanding in at least some of the following technologies:
- C# and the .NET ecosystem
- Java and the JVM ecosystem
- Popular databases and SQL versions
- You are a fast learner and can leverage your existing expertise to quickly become effective in unfamiliar tech stacks and novel situations
- You have a good understanding of best practice principles for technical architecture, and are comfortable applying these in unfamiliar situations to design new systems
- You are a talented leader, who can motivate and coach the developers on your team
- You are a strong communicator, who can explain technical concepts effectively to non-technical people
- You are adept at achieving outcomes by influencing client stakeholders who don’t report to you
- You have a good understanding of lean/agile delivery methodologies
You may also:
- Have experience delivering great outcomes for clients in an agency or professional services firm
- Have experience taking ownership of large & complex existing systems, planning strategies for changes and maintenance
- Speak at conferences and meetups to share your expertise
PackageSoftwire operates transparent pay scales and a profit share scheme based on role and overall company performance
- Base salary is based on experience in role and ranges from £63,200 – £82,800 + Profit Share
- You can expect to receive an average of between £13,000 – £18,000 in profit share depending on your experience and company performance
- Pension: Additional 5% of salary
- 25 days annual leave (with the option to buy and sell)
- Time off for company-wide morale activities, time off for charitable / CSR activities
- Free annual eye test, income protection, cycle to work, electric vehicle lease schemes, and payroll charity donations.
For further details on benefits click here
Softwire is an equal-opportunities employer and does not discriminate on the basis of age, disability, gender including gender reassignment, marriage and civil part-nership, pregnancy and maternity, race, religion or belief, sex, sexual orientation, or any other protected status. All matters related to employment are decided on the basis of qualifications, merit, and business need.