Apprentice Software Developer
We are looking for motivated apprentices to join our team of software developers.
As an apprentice at Softwire, you’ll get a thorough introduction to commercial software development on one of the best training programmes in the business. We offer a fantastic package with a salary of £24,000, plus bonus and other benefits.
Our two-year apprenticeship starts with three months of full-time training, leading into commercial software development work on Softwire’s customer project teams. You will get to work on a variety of projects, with a range of technologies, and we provide ongoing training and support every step of the way. Apprentices graduate with a Level-4 BCS-accredited Diploma in Software Engineering, and an internationally recognised coding qualification.
Taiwo joined Softwire to follow avenues outside of university, to gain experience solving real-world problems.
He’s currently working on a climate change project with a leading UK insurer and previously was a developer on our project with LNER. As a musician, Taiwo’s been involved in creating the Softwire album, Bandwidth.
Jess chose the apprenticeship scheme because she wanted fast-track into a career path and felt that university wasn’t for her.
Jess is now the project manager for our LNER team and previously was a customer manager on our support team.
Ben was attracted to our apprenticeship scheme as it offers on-the-job training. Within three months, Ben was working on real projects with real clients. He’s currently the tech lead for our Channel 5 team.
And, as Softwire’s tech officer, he creates company-wide tech events and project-sharing ‘lunch and learns’.
The people we are looking for
- A passion for solving real-world challenges: First and foremost, you’ll get a buzz from building things that make a difference to businesses, people and society. We also want to see a passion for coding – any experience you have is a bonus
- An articulate people-person: You’ll be interacting with a wide variety of individuals: some deeply techy, some from complex business domains, and others with low digital literacy. You’ll need to become comfortable understanding their needs and discussing potentially complicated technical ideas with all of them
- A positive, can-do team player: You love pushing the team to greater heights by helping colleagues out wherever you can. You always look to improve yourself and others. Your default answer to a question is ‘yes’, and you make big problems seem small
The benefits package
Starting salary of £24,000 plus annual bonus
20-25 days annual holiday with the option to buy or sell, plus charity days
Consistently one of the best places to work in the UK*
Dedicated budget for staff activities and entertainment
Great offices, plus free on-site gym and subsidised restaurant
A workplace that promotes diversity and inclusion
* We’ve been in the Best Companies to Work For listing, 10 years in a row.
Application process and start dates
We know how much effort you put into your application, so we always aim to get back to you within two working days at each stage. And if you get to the interviews, you can choose your own timeslots, using our online booking system. Given the current situation, we’ll be running this year’s recruitment process entirely remotely.
Apprenticeships start in October 2021. We allocate them to successful applicants on a first-come, first-served basis. We recommend applying now to secure your place.
More about Softwire: What you’ll be part of
Our mission is to solve our customers’ business challenges using technology. This often demands creativity, tackling complex issues in intelligent ways, to help organisations streamline operations and better serve their customers and users.
We played an important role in the Moorfields Eye Hospital/DeepMind collaboration, which demonstrated how artificial intelligence could help doctors fast-track patients with serious eye diseases. We built the system that runs the BBC Live Events websites, sharing content from Glastonbury, the Reading and Leeds festivals, and the BBC Proms. We’ve been the long-term digital partner for David Lloyd Leisure, building its mobile app, booking system and numerous other capabilities. And this is just the tip of the iceberg. Find out what else we’ve been involved with.
Of course, there’s more to Softwire than building software. We’re working hard to nurture a diverse, inclusive and supportive culture, where people love what they do and feel inspired by working with some of the best minds in the business. We also have a generous budget for a varied programme of staff events and activities, with employees, not management, deciding how the money is spent.
Put all of this together, and you see why we’ve got such high retention rates, and why we’ve been among the best small-to-medium-sized companies in the Best Companies to Work For list, 10 years in a row.
Learn more about our core values, and discover some of our company culture initiatives on our insights page.
Ready to be part of the journey? Apply for your apprenticeship today.
Please note that this role is available only to those without a university degree, or those with a non-STEM degree, STEM undergraduates should instead apply for one of our graduate developer roles.
Key facts at-a-glance
- Locations and salaries: London £24,000
- Start dates: Autumn 2021
- When to apply: ASAP! Applications are open now
- Who can apply: Anyone with no degree or with a non-STEM degree. (If you have a STEM degree you should instead apply for one of our graduate developer roles.)